Protege 3 Developer Documentation
Please note that we are slowly trying to move developer documentation off of the main Protege Web site and onto this Wiki. We feel that this will better serve the community as users will (hopefully) make contributions and corrections to our body of documentation.
Because the migration of documentation to the Wiki is ongoing, you should also check the main Protege Web site for Protege 3 developer documentation: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/dev.html.
Programming Tips & Tricks
General (common to Protege-Frames & Protege-OWL)
- Accessing the Protege source code from SVN
- Protege Programming Development Kit (PDK)
- Setting up Eclipse for plug-in development - This is what you usually want
- Compiling and Running Protege-Frames and OWL in a Java Development Environment (e.g., Eclipse) - Advanced: look here only if you want to compile yourself the Protege source code. Most developers do not need this.
- Working with forms
- Client-Server (Multi-user mode)
- Collaboration features
- Accessing the Lucene Query plug-in programatically
- Tips for handling multiple threads writing to a Protege knowledge-base
- How to implement compression over rmi
- Working with the Protege-OWL API
- The Reasoning API
- OWL Database
- Configuring the User Interface using the API
- Notes for developers on migrating plug-ins to Protege 3.4 build 500 (and higher)
- Learn how to create a manifest and JAR file for your plug-in
- Tips for packaging your plug-in for distribution
- Instructions for declaring dependencies between Protege plug-ins
- How to make your plug-in's documentation available to users from within Protege